BRIEF 04: BREATHLESS/ À BOUT DE SOUFFLE

Breathless, famous scene from within the film of the duo. Followed by the original film poster when it was released. I really don't like the general style used in the poster, the composition, the type, the images, doesn't really work for me. But obviously if I am trying to convey the idea of French New Wave cinema and this is one of the most prolific ones, or at least one that is going to be spoken about in the lecture then I need to research more.



DVD cover design, using the same image that is the original poster design.


To get a better idea of what I am looking at, I have found more film posters for Breathless, some quite similar and others very different. This idea of misplaced type used in these posters works well, but am curious as to when it first came about. 
If I was to guess I would think the type is there like this to represent the character Polccard who is dubbed irresponsible sociopath, who is shown to be reckless throughout the whole film. Which is why I  particularly like the type in the second poster down, large, reckless and in your face. This similar sort of idea can be seen in the poster just below it as well.

Where as there are other posters, that seem to go with a whole other notion more focussing on the french romance side of the design, such as the fourth poster down.


Another reason the type could be like this is due to in the film the scenes had parts removed and creates jump cuts as a style of french new wave which was prominent.






A very new, fresh take on the design of Breathless. This indie style character design, which is good. Its appropriate and works well but not the route I will be going down for my type of posters.


Due to how the french new wave cinema had the collective idea of a self-conscious rejection of classical cinematic form and their spirit of youthful iconoclasm. The films themselves were on a tight budget and this what influenced the film and style even more so, so it leads me to think of poster design being cheap with prints of two spot colours at most, trying to limit overall cost. This is why I like the idea of this poster, even though it is four colours or three with a tint, I feel it communicates it.



And finally another film design poster, which is the image seen on IMDB. The poster is type heavy, with its rounded edges sans serif titling font. I like the simplicity of it and the use of verticals to create the composition.


Another image found which is for a film also down by Jean-Luc Goddard, a prominent pioneer of the french new wave cinema. Simplicity in its structure, see the use of the grid, which gives an international style feel to the poster. Quite modernist. Once again only two colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment