SEB LESTER

TYPE AND LETTERING By Seb Lester













Ambigram of of the word Brutal. At first I was looking it at it for a while just because as type design I thought it was really interesting, then I actually noticed it was an ambigram- I thought it was just great, really detailed and exciting.

The whole form looks like it has taken on a medieval style, which is clearly showing it as a brutal time. Metaphor simply from its form, serifs look like axes and all kinds or armoury.

Things like this make me wish I did it.


Produced for a show at Electrik Sheep, by Seb Lester













Working with onomatopoeia, he has got typical words you might see in a comic, and given them their own form. This is played out making type the image and it works really well.
We might see things like this in the comics themselves, but these seem to have a sophistication to them and we instantly recognise what is happening. Just by applying what we think of when we hear these words into the word themselves, we get a strong graphic image.

No comments:

Post a Comment